At Just Lets, we are keen landlords know the importance of keeping tenants satisfied. When a tenant is happy, they are far more likely to stay in your rental property, and they might even be more amenable to rent increases!
We work closely with landlords, and we can provide you with guidance and services which go a long way to satisfying your tenants, and maintaining this level of happiness. If you would like to discuss our full range of landlord services, contact Just Lets Peterborough, and we will be more than happy to assist you.
A happy tenant makes life easier for landlords
While we work closely with landlords and tenants, ensuring we have local insight to offer, we also pay attention to national studies. A recent study into the level of satisfaction tenants have with their rental property is worth considering.
Key findings from The English Housing Survey are as follows:
- 84% of private tenants said they were satisfied with their rental accommodation
- This represents a rise of 1% on the previous years’ figure
- In the social rented factor, 81% of tenants said they were satisfied with their rental accommodation
- 73% of private tenants were satisfied with the way their landlords carried out maintenance and repair work
- 67% of social tenants were satisfied with the way their landlords carried out maintenance and repair work
Ben Beadle is the Chief Executive of the National Residential Landlords Association, and he said; “It is good news that private renters are increasingly satisfied with their housing and is a testament to landlords and the improvements in standards that we have seen in the sector. Whilst challenges clearly remain, this dispels the myth perpetrated by some, that tenants are generally unhappy with their housing.”
Know the commitment your tenant makes when renting from you
It is never a bad thing to familiarise yourself with the commitment your tenant makes in letting from you. You should look to provide tenants with a good return on their monthly rental fee. A landlord that offers value for money is far more likely to keep tenants happy.
Private renters spend more of their income on housing costs than any other category, as the following figures suggest:
- The average housing cost for private tenants was £200 per week
- The average housing cost for social tenants was £102 per week
- The average housing cost for homeowners with a mortgage was £172 per week
Therefore, as you know how important it is to offer tenants a high standard of service, make sure you take steps to enhance the service you offer. Here are some tips which will help you deliver a high standard of tenant satisfaction:
- Provide your tenants with an around the clock service, letting them know if they need you, you will be there for them
- Make improvements to your rental property and consider utilising modern technology whenever and wherever possible
- Focus on energy-efficiency, as these improvements help tenants lower their bills
- Encourage feedback and ensure you act on recommendations
- Communication is vital, so make this a fundamental part of your relationship with your tenant
- Arrange regular meetings with your tenants, creating a two-way flow of communication
If you are a landlord in or around Peterborough, and you need assistance in finding your ideal tenant, we can help. We know these are challenging times for landlords, but there is a demand for rental property. When you need guidance in the local market, contact Just Lets Peterborough today, and we will be happy to help you.